Monday, July 18, 2011

Word Sharing for AIESEC FTU HCMC =)

Grace Alexander - Malaysia

My AIESEC experience in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam was irreplaceable. From the day I step foot on Saigon, until this day that I have to drag myself back up to the plane, I experienced a journey that has changed me a lot. My expectations that I set on my mind before I came here was just to gain experience and widen up my knowledge about HIV/AIDS.

But what I see before me was something much more extraordinary. I can only settle down with this: ‘Expose me and I will understand..’

I have to admit it was a really strong and encouraging journey that I’ve been through, especially educating people in Vietnam about HIV/AIDS. Along the way I’ve come to realize that HIV/AIDS is too big of an issue in Vietnam. None of them realize how deadly this disease is and how rapidly it is spreading in THEIR country. The need for me to help them increases so much during my stay there. I’ve got myself involved in quite a lot of brainstorming together with my team members in order to educate more people. I even visited HIV shelter homes although I’ve to act like a Vietnamese because no foreigners are allowed to enter.

It is clear now. Not only through my eyes, but through my heart, that we must do all we can to help them. Saigon may be a big city, one of the ‘most developed’ compared to others in Vietnam, but most of the people there live as though their lives depend on only a meal a day. When I look at them, I felt so ashamed of myself, but at the same time I do what I can to help, so far in Saigon, I’ve helped a crippled man to cross a road, offered my seats to old people (although my feet hurts so much from walking the whole day!!), helped old people get off the bus a couple of times and sometimes buying stuff off from a street seller because seeing them carrying the over heavy stuffs on an over-aged body just hurts me.

I did all I can but I know that I can do more if I speak their language. I’ve gave it my all in all the workshops to educate the most people I can about HIV/AIDS. I’ve tried my best with my project team members to make this project a success and I know that this first phase was a success. Educating over 3000 people in 2 months, 26 schools, was a challenge and also a heart filling sensation.

When I was on my home, I felt so satisfied with my stay in Vietnam although it was only for 2 months, not only because of the trips around the country. I was overwhelmed with what all of us had done in the project and I believe all of us had learnt a lesson in life.

I have a new resolve now. To involve myself with as many HIV/AIDS projects and also projects that will bring good to the world.

This is how the Living with HIV project in Vietnam has changed me. =)

No comments: